Sunday 1 July 2007

Chapter 23 - Falling asleep at the wheel



``As a net is made up of a series of ties, so everything in this world is connected by a series of ties. If anyone thinks that the mesh of a net is an independent, isolated thing, he is mistaken. It is called a net because it is made up of a series of interconnected meshes, and each mesh has its place and responsibility in relation to other meshes.''

Buddha

Feb 1999

I was woken up by a passer-by who saw the accident. When they found me, I was unconscious and leaning against the steering wheel with the horn blaring. The car was written off, but I was unharmed yet again.

The witness called the Police and a tow truck. I was off my face but the car did not look badly damaged. Still smacked out I sat down and started playing my guitar as though nothing had happened.

I denied being under the influence of anything other than my prescription medication, Serzone, which is an anti-depressant. To my utter amazement they seemed to believe me. I knew that my eyes were pinned and I was sure that I had probably slurred a few words but for some reason the copper let it pass.

(Who ever did the programming for the copper really screwed up because in real life there is no way he would have missed my pinned eyes)

The copper took me to the Nimbin hospital so that they could take a blood sample. They breath tested me, but I refused to have blood taken, so they asked me to urinate in a bottle.

One side effect of heroin is being unable to take a piss, so I stood in this small room for 15 minutes trying to take a leak.

They must have got bored waiting because they decided to just let me go. I was very lucky again.

The tow truck driver gave me a lift back to Lismore. He attached the wrecked Commodore to the truck and we drove down the main street of Nimbin. It reminded me of an old western with the villain being dragged out of town by a horse. I felt foolish, only a few minutes before I had arrived in town to score and now I was leaving the car a total right off. I was sure that Tonto was watching and laughing.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?